Thursday, December 10, 2009

Changes

In the last 42 years of my life, I've:

Worked in the music business from 1999-2006, traveling to 48 of the 50 states as a Tour Manager / Guitar Tech (never did Alaska or Hawaii)

Worked thousands of shows doing all sorts of different jobs from local Stagehand, Spot Op, Tour Manager, Guitar/Bass Tech, Driver, Pyro tech, Lighting Director, Stage Manager, Production Manager, and more.

Almost died at a few gigs from road cases rolling off of stages (twice); and once out of the back of a truck.

Recovered a stolen amp and guitar for Spider John Koerner of Koerner, Ray and Glover fame (they influenced bob Dylan.)

Met Metallica in 1984 when Cliff was around R.I.P. brother.

Worked with an amp that was used by The Beatles in 1964 in Washington D.C. This was the first show by the first band of the British Invasion. THE show that started it all. After that, they went on Sullivan and the nation was aware of something big if they didn't feel the vibe before.

Held a single guitar worth $300,000

Held a 1958 Gibson Explorer once owned by Eric Clapton and last worked on by the guitar tech, Seymour Duncan (yes, THAT Seymour Duncan...is there any other??)

Had dinner with Al Jardine of The Beach Boys.

Had conversations with Joey Molland of Badfinger about his first-hand experiences with the Who, The Beatles, Keith Moon, recording with John Lennon, etc.

Worked with Joey Molland's master built Gibson Les Paul. (master built meaning the master builder in every department at Gibson, worked on the guitar.) Gibson has 4 built for Eric Clapton, but Eric didn't want them, so Joey got to pick one out.

retired from the music business is 2006.

I wrote for a local music newspaper from Jan 2004 through March 2007, but quit that to focus more on writing two books I'm knee deep in the middle of.

Found my soulmate and got engaged. We were married in October of 2007.

Was with my Mom when she died from cancer and had the experience of a lifetime. Let's just say I KNOW she is ok. No doubt.

Survived my own case of cancer, Malignant Melanoma (Nodular Type), Stage II B, Clark's Level 5, breslow Level 4, 1/2 inch deep tumor in the left lateral side of my scalp.

Been in 1 really major auto accident, probably 5-6 others, totaled many cars.

Stole 6 bottles of Root Beer Schnaps from a party back in 1987 and did 120 mph around an icy curve in the dead of night. SHARP turn. Angels must have held the car down and on the road.

Had a hammer tossed at me, hit me in the mouth, loosened up my braces, but no teeth.

Used to have a very bad tempter, put a crowbar through a garage door when I was 15. Figured I'd end up hurting someone, got my own anger under control by myself.

Watched a guy get accidentally electrocuted during a concert.

Watched a kid in high school take off 4 fingers with a table saw and witnessed same said fingers being picked up from the ground, covered in saw dust, cleaned off, put on ice as he was rushed to the hospital in shock.

Been deaf from Metallica's concert in 1986 at the Orpheum theater -- and ever since have worn earplugs at ANY show.

Traveled outside of the USA.

Graduated in 1985 from High School.

Have a honorary doctorate degree.

Got ordained. (Yup. I can legally perform weddings, etc) So I went from Roadie to Reverend (non-denominational). Go figure.

Mooned the cops after a concert or two.

Man.... that is just the stuff in the FIRST 42 years, and that's not even ALL of it. So much more I can't think of, have forgotten, etc. I feel like I've lived so many lives within this one, changed and grown so much, that it's not even funny. I've grown, changed, and I'm nowhere near like what I used to be.

Would I change some things? Maybe. Not sure on that because if I did, would it change who I am? Probably. I like the path I am now on. All I can say is, WHAT A RIDE IT IS!!

Alright. Half Time is about over...time for the next 42.

Who's with me?

Copyright © 2009 Ron Schreiner All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment